Sunday 14 September 2014

Being Pro-active




In my previous post I mentioned how easy it was to get started with self-publishing using Amazon, but once the book is out there that's when the hard work really starts.  When you haven't got a nice big publishing house behind you or a literary agent, managing promotion is all down to you!  Now I'm new to all this so I'm no expert but I thought I'd share some of the things I've done so far.  The teams at Createspace and Kindle Direct Publishing are great sources of information and advice on how to promote your work and what deals are available to assist in this.  There are also great forums where you can talk to other authors and learn from their experiences.

Shortly after my book was published I was introduced to a website called Goodreads.  This is a great little site for all lovers of books, both authors and readers and again offers the chance to talk to other like-minded souls and get their feedback.  If you love books I recommend you take a look.
Social media - Facebook and Twitter - are also a great way of promoting your work and I have pestered my friends relentlessly with updates!

Personally my biggest problem is that my target audience is so young (aged between about 10-14) so a lot of the above are not going to really reach them.  The other problem is I love to write!  As soon as one project is finished I immediately start thinking about the next, which is probably why it has taken me so long to get this far!  I am determined to be more pro-active though and with that in mind would appreciate any suggestions you may have as well to keep me on this road!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment